May 22nd marks the International Day for Biological Diversity. 2022’s theme is “Building a Shared Future For All''. The three pillars of this year’s celebration are:
- Restore the relationship between humans and nature and regenerate ecosystems;
- Conserve the harmony of our ecosystems; and
- Amplify the power of youth.
You can find out more resources from the UNESCO website on the International Day for Biological Diversity.
Did you know that:
- Around 1 million animal and plant species globally are threatened with extinction.
- Human actions have profoundly impacted around 75% of the terrestrial ecosystem and 66% of the marine environment.
These current negative trends in biodiversity and ecosystem are undermining progress towards the UN’s Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). You can find the list of UN SDGs here.
Kualesa’s mission statements firmly align to this year’s International Day for Biological Diversity. To refresh your memory, here they are:
- Provide access to apparel that's better for the people and the planet, empowering consumers to buy quality over quantity.
- Drive usage of more sustainable and diverse textiles to minimise environmental impact while offsetting carbon emissions.
- Elevate Southeast Asian artisanship and creativity and share it with the world.
It’s more important than ever to take initiatives to reinstate biodiversity, a key part of our reforestation program. While it might seem that the damage to our ecosystem is irreversible, we believe that every step counts. For each order at Kualesa, we are planting a tree in Kuala Tahan, Pahang, Malaysia.